Whether you’ve been back for a few weeks, or just a day or two — you did it!
You made it out of bed at an ungodly hour, rocked a fresh first-day outfit, and presented your Teacher Self to a new crop of kids.
You’re taking attendance, writing those first parent e-mails, planning lessons, doing lunch duty, attending meetings, assigning first homeworks, and collecting first homeworks.
Maybe you’re teaching a brand-new course this year, or taking on a new responsibility as coach or advisor, too.
Through all of this, you’re delivering instruction to multiple groups of differently abled, very distractible kids.
So, please remember — it’s OK if…
1. You don’t know most of your students’ names yet.
2. It takes you a full five minutes to remember old students’ names when they say hello in the hallway.
3. Your desk is already a mess of papers.
4. You didn’t have time to make that perfect bulletin board / seating chart / welcome letter like you’d planned to do.
5. You already had to change a lesson because the copier was jammed or occupied.
6. You already had to change a lesson because the computer / projector / DVD player / TV / internet didn’t work.
7. You forgot to turn off your phone during class.
8. You forgot to go to the bathroom, even when you had a minute.
9. Your perfect “first days” lesson was not the raging success you’d envisioned.
10. You haven’t had time to catch up properly with your colleagues because of all the work that needs to be done.
11. You’re already grading or playing on your phone during the first full faculty meeting. (Do as I say, not as I do…)
12. Your second-day outfit was not as polished as your first-day outfit. (Soon, you’ll be proud to have made it to school with matching socks!)
13. You didn’t have time to make lunch and/or dinner.
14. You didn’t have time to make that doctor’s appointment.
15. You’re already falling asleep on the couch when you get home!
Remember, teachers do heroic things, but you’re still human!
Rinse and repeat if you’re a first-year teacher.
Also: what would you add to this list?